Thursday, March 26, 2009

I was skimming this New York Times Styles article, when I came upon this paragraph:

"'Stop,' she said. Of course, this was easy for Stephanie to say. She’s my competent friend, the one who has all kinds of practical skills. She knows how to make pies and how to cut fabric on the bias. She even knows what a “bias” is. What does she have to worry about? If a giant meteor hit the earth and debris from the impact blocked the sun, she’d survive just fine in some homespun coat she made out of super-warm wool. And the coat would be cute, too."

Am I crazy is this an unusually domestic description of the adjective "competent?" When I think competent, I think management, administration, maybe socialization, but not scissor wielding, pie baking Mama magic. I wouldn't want to discredit that fabulousness- Stephanie is a domestic goddess, she transcends competence.

But then again, I might just be old school, like the 90s and shoulder pads. Competence is a relative term, get with the program!(?)

No comments:

Post a Comment